By: Kerry Schmid
The 2015 AIHce is almost here! This weekend, thousands of Industrial Hygienists and Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety Professionals will attend various events, podiums, roundtables, and professional development courses. The six day event is where colleagues from all fifty states and the world shares experiences and learn from each other.
The Student and Early Career Professional Committee (SECP) and the Mentoring and Professional. Development Committee (MPDC) are sponsoring sessions and events throughout AIHce.
The AIHA offers SECPs a tailored part of the AIHce 2015 website completes with a sample agenda. This agenda includes cross over topics from various AIHA committees.
To see a copy of a sample agenda, check out the following website for more information: http://aihce2015.org/education/studentyoung-professional-sample-agenda/
One of the best ways to be involved in AIHA is to volunteer. I encourage all students and early career professionals to get involved. Over the last year, SECP members have had the chance to listen to various volunteer groups. At conference, there are more than 40 different volunteer groups that will be meeting throughout conference. The volunteer groups are always looking for new members.
Visit this link to get more information on meeting times: http://aihce2015.org/networking-events/boardcommittee-meetings-special-events/meetings-special-events/,
If you are an AIHA volunteer, make sure to check out the Red Carpet Room. To all of the SECP and MDPC volunteers, thank you for all your hard work this year!
Below are just some of the events for students and early career professionals as well as sponsored sessions and events from SECP and MDPC! The information was gathered from the AIHce2015 website. To see the full lineup of events and sessions, visit the AIHce 2015 website at http://www.aihce2015.org.
Sunday May 31
AIHce Welcome Party
, 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. “Kick off the conference with food, drinks, live music and fun at the first-ever AIHce Welcome Party.”
Monday June 1
First Timer’s Orientation, 6:45 a.m. – 7:45 SPCC, Room 255 ABC
If this is your first time attending AIHce, then come to learn how to make your first AIHce memorable!
SECP Table Topics, 12:00 p.m. in the Expo Hall
Over lunch, sit down and discussion various topics and issues. Seating is first come, first serve. This year, topics include:
- Breaking Down Barriers
- Career Paths
- CIH Exam 101
- Field Work & Travel for the IH
- IH in an EHS World
- IH in the Oil and Gas Industry
- Networking for the IH.
Expo Hall Networking Reception, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Browse the Expo Hall and meet this year’s exhibitors and vendors and view posters.
Mentoring Program Networking Event, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Gracie’s Bar 326 S. West Temple Salt Lake City, UT
This event is open to all members of the AIHA’s Mentoring Program as well as students and professionals interested in being a mentor or wanting a mentor! Gracie’s is walking distance from the convention center.
The Mentoring Circle: A 360 Degree View of Mentoring Programs and Relationships (RT209), 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Listen and learn from a variety of speakers on the importance and development of industrial hygiene professionals. This session truly takes a 360 degree view!
Presentations Titles are:
- Grow, Learn and Teach by Being a Mentee
- Mentoring: The Student Internship and Beyond
- On the Job: A Look at Mentors and AIHA ® Career and Employment Services as Career Guides
- Turning on the LIgHt: Tips for Developing or Getting Involved in Mentoring Program to Sustain the Future of Industrial Hygiene
- Defining Metrics: Lessons in Restraint and Patience
- The Tale of Two Mentees: The Success and Challenges of Being a Mentor
- Mentor You Mentee Me
Tuesday, June 2
29th Annual AIHF Fun Run, 6:30 a.m. to 8:00 am.
Bring your running or walking shoes! Participants can either run a 5k or walk a 2k. Visit the FunRun desk for more information
Mentoring & Professional Development Committee Meeting 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Hilton, Grand Ballroom, Salons A/B
Ignite: Enlighten Me but Make it Quick! Offering Enlightenment and Knowledge – In a Hurry! (IL06) , 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Industrial Hygiene and Safety in Non Traditional Industries (RT219), 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Learn about hazard safety and IH in a non-traditional workplace settings. The roundtable includes:
- Industrial Hygiene for the Architect of the Capitol
- Lights! Camera! Action! Motion Picture Opportunities in the Environmental Safety Fields (Aka How Do You Teach Ergonomics to a Stunt Double and Fire Prevention to a Special Effects Artist?)
- Domestic and International Safety Auditing of Live Broadcasts/Developing IH & Safety Standards for Live Events
- Industrial Hygiene Practice in the Insurance Industry
- Industrial Hygiene at a Winery
- A Tale of Two Careers
Wednesday, June 3
Perspectives on Preparation for the CIH Exam v10.0 (RT238), 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you plan on taking the CIH exam, this session covers the requirements and information on preparation strategies. Presentations include:
- CIH Exam Study and Reference Material on the Cheap
- Learning to Sit Still
- Finding Time to Study with a Busy Schedule
- My CIH Good Luck Charm Kicked me in the Ribs
- CIH: Controlling the Insanity and Hype of Studying
- How to Pass the Exam Without Alienating Family and Friends
- Planning a CIH Prep Vacation
- OMG! You Failed… Now What? CIH Exam Prep Advice
Mark of Excellence Breakfast, 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
This is a new event which honors the extraordinary contributions made by members and the volunteers of AIHA and ACGIH.
Student and Early Career Professionals Committee (SECP) Meeting, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Marriott Downtown, Grand Ballroom D
Thursday, June 4
Oh! The Places You’ll Go! (RT 245), 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
This roundtable is “designed to provide new graduates early career professionals with valuable insights offered by fellow IH professionals at varying stages in their careers”. Presentations include:
- AIHA’s Career and Employment Services (CES) Committee: Supporting Your Career
- So Many Questions
- And Now… Life Happens
- There’s No Place like IH!
- IH in High-Tech